Pentagram Bag Pattern


Free Pattern:
Us 5.5 mm or 5.00 mm crochet hook
Size 4 medium worsted weight yarn

 Magic circle or chain 4 and slip stitch into the first chain.

Row 1: Chain 3. Work 2 double crochets. Chain 5. Work 3 double crochets. Chain 5. Repeat until you have 5 clusters/openings.

Row 2: Work a single crochet into each previous double crochet. In chain 5 work 3 single crochets, chain 2 (this is the point of the star), work a single crochet back into the third single crochet and work 2 more single crochets into chain 5. Repeat all the way around the star.

Row 3 (this is where I would change color to the base color of the bag to give the look of a pentagram): Chain 3. Work a triple crochet, then 2 double crochets, then a half double crochet, then place two single crochets into the point of the star. Continue on by working a half double crochet, 2 double crochets, 2 triple crochets, 2 double crochets, a half double crochet, and two singles into the point of the star and repeat. 

Row 4 (this is where I changed back to the star color): Chain 2 and place a double crochet into each stitch. 

Row 5 (and finally back to the main color): Chain 3 and work a double crochet into the next two stitches, Chain 1, skip 1, and work 3 double crochets into the next 3 stitches. Repeat all the way around.

Row 6-12: Work a granny stitch with no increases all the way around working the clusters into the chain one, then chaining one and repeat. Fasten off after the last row.

For the tie, I just used a string because I felt a chain wouldn't look right, and I weaved it between each cluster on the second from the top row.


I got inspired to make this because I love supernatural and honestly I love pentagrams I actually want a tattoo of one. Anyway, I thought it would be cool to have a hex bag with a pentagram on the bottom. It is bigger than I planned but there were absolutely no patterns online for pentagrams and I'm proud of the pentagram part, I might try and remake this and try a different bag stitch. I think with just the pentagram pattern this can be used in a creative number of ways maybe combining them into a blanket. I just had a thought, I might try and make two of them and stitch them together on the sides as a bag? See it is still useful. I was wary of this bag because it was not 100% what I had in mind even though it is a nice bag, I am just a perfectionist and I want to make sure I am happy with each pattern and I am happy with this one but I will definitely try the pentagram idea again. I did include what the pentagram looks like before the granny stitch part because like I said it can be used in a number of ways and I would love to see your ideas and creations. 


This was not my original intention. I wanted to make a smaller bag more like a hex bag you will see in supernatural. And I wanted to try and put a pentagram on the bottom which I realized while trying to do this that it is just a star with a circle around it. And I obviously knew that but when trying to crochet it I had come into a few problems. I did not just want to make a star, but how would I get from a star to the circle without there being huge holes losing all your baby bones and herbs from your hex? Well, this was the best I got too, I want to try again later one maybe when I have more skills than I do now. I think if I looked into ruins or something that is witchy I would try and put that on the bottom of a bag instead. Obviously, you can just use any bag as a hex bag, but I absolutely love supernatural and wanted to honor Rowena who is one of my favorite characters in the show, I even follow the actor on Instagram. I would love to see your remakes or interpretations of this idea! 


This pattern has a special place in my heart because I did not see any inspiration online like Pinterest or TikTok, I just got the idea from Supernatural and wanted to try and recreate it with the one talent that I have. It feels weird because normally when things go viral people are looking for the pattern and I like to make a simple easy pattern for everyone to use but this one no one is asking for it, it was just a project that came to mind.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tube Socks Pattern

Mushroom Lighter Holder Pattern

Winnie The Pooh Granny Square Blanket