Classic Socks Pattern

 
Free Pattern:
Us 5.5 mm or 5.00 mm crochet hook
Size 4 medium worsted weight yarn

Magic circle or chain 4 and slip stitch into the first chain.

Row 1: Working into the circle place 6 single crochets.

Row 2: Increase each stitch by placing 2 single crochets into each stitch. (12)

Row 3: Increase each stitch again and put two single crochets into each stitch. (24)

Row 4-8: Place a single crochet into each stitch working in a round. (this is the part I consider the toe and would change to the base color after row 8)

Row 9-24: Repeat row 4. (this is 16 rows for the main part of the foot and where I would change color for the heal.

Row 25: Single crochet into the next 13 stitches and chain 1. You will be turning and working up these 13 stitches. 

Row 26-32: Place 13 single crochets working up a little square. (8 rows for the heal)

Row 33: (this is where I would change back into the base color) Slip stitch one side of the square to the other side (the 1st stitch and the 13th stitch) creating the heal. (for the side part of the heal you can either stitch it back later or slip stitch down and back up) Now you will work on the sides of the rows placing single crochets along the side and then continuing on the base part of the sock creating a round connecting the base and the heal which turns into your ankle. and you will slip stitch back into the first single you created after connecting the heal.

Row 34-44: Place a single crochet all the way around, working in a round. Fasten off and you have your sock!


This pattern made me really excited, The only sock I really liked to make was my loom knitted one because I think any sock that doesn't have the changed color heal looks a little weird, I think it is just how I grew up with remembering different socks. Anyway, before I figured out the trick to increasing I never really wanted to do socks, well I still did tube socks but the heal was the worst with going in and out. So when I finally saw a pattern with the idea of the heal like this, I got so excited, and I love it, it is exactly the type of sock I think of, and it is even better than the knit one because crocheting has tighter stitches then the loom, it was why I did not make a ton of the loom knit socks because the stitches were loose because I did not use thick fluffy yarn. I love this pattern it is still simple but it is exactly what I wanted and I am just so in love with it. I am really excited to test all the different color combos, I have said before but if I ever lost inspiration the reason I love crocheting over the loom and knitting is it is easy to put down, I do not lose any tools for stopping a project. 


This project does take longer than some of my other favorite patterns but this is the one item that I think everyone tends to like. Everyone wears socks and likes socks as gifts, well not kids all the time but everyone that I gift does. It was honestly surprising, I know that things bother me more because I am neurodivergent and I am picky on a lot more things than other people so I do not always know what people like unless it is from trial and error when gifting gifts. But this one seemed to be loved by everyone which is great, it can take me a long time to complete them personally but I still want to keep them under my favorites list because it is an easy gift. 


Another reason I love this pattern is that unlike the previous tube sock pattern you can make a different color heal. One major thing I try and do when it comes to gifts is that they should not have to be explained. It is the main reason I have never made coasters as gifts because I feel like I would have to explain it. I have had to explain other things before or maybe I gift it with an item such as the soda cozy when I originally gave some to my friends it had a can of soda in it. The point being I think the heal color or even just the shape of the heal turn in the pattern really accents the fact it is a sock. it is a simple fact but it makes me feel so much better gifting them, I always get worried when gifting not just of they like it but if they know what it is. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tube Socks Pattern

Mushroom Lighter Holder Pattern

Winnie The Pooh Granny Square Blanket