Continuous Granny Square Blanket Pattern


Free Pattern:
Us 5.5 mm or 5.00 mm crochet hook
Size 4 medium worsted weight yarn

The granny square pattern

Start by chaining 4 and slip stitch into the first chain or create a magic circle.

Row 1: Chain 3, 2 double crochet. Chain 2 and create a cluster (three double crochets all in the same spot). Create a total of 4 clusters.

Row 2: Chain 3 and place 2 double crochet. In each corner create two clusters, with two chains in between.

Row 3 and so on: Create clusters in each opening and two in each corner with two chains in between. And repeat until the desired size.

I like to also use a bigger needle to make the pattern go faster and make it bigger. When I use a 10mm needle I do not chain in between the clusters except on the corners where I only chain 1.

I have a very good reason why this is my favorite way to make a blanket. So I have been crocheting for many years and tried many things. And no I don't mean different stitches but more so different styles. The first blanket I ever crochet was tree stripes of colors that took me years because I was very unmotivated. I ended up hating it and turning it into a pillow. I have tried other sizes such as more of a throw blanket but it still took a while because you never really see the result till the end of a single crochet striped blanket. 

Last year or so I learned how to make a granny square and most people make smaller squares and combine them, but honestly, I don't love how it comes out, and I feel like it ends up being more work. Then I realized just making a big granny square. And here's the best reason why this is the best. As I mentioned I get distracted very easily and get bored, a lot of the time I end up going back and finishing a project, but also at the same time there has been plenty of projects that I have abandoned and either left in a box to hide forever or I recycle the yarn for a new project. But with just a single large granny square blanket, you can stop at any point and it can still be a gift. Just as I make washcloths, if you decide you don't want to finish or run out of colors it can be a baby blanket or a throw blanket. Or just another washcloth, it can be stopped and still used at any point without having to recycle. 

I really love that because I don't have to worry if I don't like a project or just get bored. I know it is repetitive and simple but honestly, I do like repetitive, but honestly, I love the way it looks and it goes pretty fast, but that could be because you see how it looks right from the beginning. It feels complete through the whole thing unlike when you start from one end and it just looks like a scarf. or just a weird rectangle. I just feel like I end up having more fun but at the same time it completes pretty fast and it just feels better than any of the other blankets I have made. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tube Socks Pattern

Mushroom Lighter Holder Pattern

Winnie The Pooh Granny Square Blanket