Granny Square Hat Pattern


Free Pattern:
Us 5.5 mm or 5.00 mm crochet hook
Size 4 medium worsted weight yarn

Start by chaining 4 and slip stitching into the first chain, or magic ring.


Row 1: chain 3, double crochet two more times, chain 2, and create three more clusters (3 double crochets into the same space) with two chains in between each one. (4 clusters in row one) Slip stitch into the third chain at the beginning of the row. Slip stitch over to the next opening being the corner.

Row 2-4: Chain 3 and double crochet two more times. Chain two and create another cluster in the same space. Continue creating clusters in each opening and placing two in each corner, with two chains in between.

Row 5-13: Chain 3 and double crochet two more times. But this time you won't be increasing, you'll only put one cluster in each corner. So in every opening place one cluster (3 double crochets) and placing two chains in between each one.

This is the start of the band
"Row" 14: chain 7. Then you'll turn your work and be working along the side. Single crochet 6 times into the chains you just made. Then slip stitch into 2 stitches in the hat. Single crochet in the back loops only of the 6 single crochets. Chain one and turn. Then do 6 more back loop only single crochets. Slip stitch into the next two stitches along the bottom of the hat. and continue this pattern all the way around. Sew or single crochet the two sides together. 

An alternative band, not my preferred method:
Row 14: chain one and single crochet into the same spot. Single crochet in each double crochet from the previous round, and in each opening.

row 15-17: Chain one, but during these rounds, you'll be doing a front post double crochet. This is where instead of putting your hook through the "v" on the dip, you'll put your hook behind the previous rows double crochet. So you are essentially creating an opening between one double crochet and the rest of the double crochets in that row. If that doesn't make sense id suggest finding a video to help. And all the way around you'll be doing front post double crochets. and slip stitch into the third chain at the beginning of the round. After completing row 20, fasten off.

I made my first hat in 2017. It was an orange creamsicle yarn that had orange, yellow, and white blended together. I was so proud of myself I kept making them over and over and to this day I still have a stockpile of hats. But that hat pattern wasn’t my favorite. I spent years trying to find the perfect pattern for me. If you haven’t visited my blog before, I’ve talked about before how I love simple patterns. Not all my patterns are simple, some I make an exception for after trial and error. Anyway, the reason I used the original hat pattern so much was that it was the first thing I made after a blanket, which was my first. It was the first pattern I could understand because at the time, and still somewhat today, circles are not my forte. So I wanted to find a hat pattern that didn’t require starting in a circle and increasing. I didn’t know as much as I know now, I’ve gotten a lot better and can make some circle things. But even now I don’t like subtle increases. It’s either simple or not at all. Like my sock and soda cozy pattern. They start with circles and increase all-around once, and then it’s the size I like, this doesn’t work for everything especially if I want it flat, but with what I make now, I like it. Anyway, after learning more and making different types of things I grew to not like that pattern as much, it was sloppy and just didn’t look at good as I wanted it to. I might write out the pattern anyway since I used it so often. It seems appropriate after writing this that I might still be a good pattern, just not what I want to make anymore. I’m thinking about that because this isn’t the pattern I’m settled on either. I like it, it seems cleaner and nice but I still believe there’s a perfect hat pattern out there for me. But to be fair, I’m not sure any of my patterns are perfect. I think I’m just thinking out loud at this point. Anyway, this pattern is really easy once you know the basic stitches. It a granny square hat. I think the reason I love it so much is because after I learned what the granny square was, and truly after learning the magic circle, it was extremely easy. It is my go-to pattern for blankets because, in reality, you can stop at any point and it can be any kind of blanket, or if you stop early on it can be a washcloth like a washcloth pattern also on my blog. Anyway, it’s really simple and easy to adjust.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tube Socks Pattern

Mushroom Lighter Holder Pattern

Winnie The Pooh Granny Square Blanket