Face Mask Pattern


Free Pattern:
Us 5.5 mm or 5.00 mm crochet hook
Size 4 medium worsted weight yarn

Start by chaining 32.


Row 1-11/13: Single crochet in 8 switches, half double crochet into the next 15, and finish off with 8 more single crochets. Chain one and turn. After you have finished with the last row (which can range depending on the size you want), chain 14 and slip stitch to the bottom side of the mask on the same side to create the ear handle.

To create the other side, I slip stitched on the opposite side of the mask, for personal preference ( to tie the two ends together) I slip stitched all down the side, and then chained 12, and finally, slip stitched back to where I originally slip stitched and fasten off.

Wearing a mask helps protect others from you. Even if you are not sick you could be a carrier. And if everyone wears a mask everyone is protecting everyone. It is not just about you. it is about working together to stop the spread of COVID. It took me a while to find the perfect pattern for me. Especially since so many call for elastic because a lot of crafts have extra supplies but as someone who doesn't make clothes or anything of the type very often, I don't have elastic and since everyone is trying to DIY their own mask there is no elastic anywhere.  My favorite part of this pattern is actually being able to see the difference in the stitches. My boyfriend who doesn't crochet but has knitted in the past started asking about the stitches when he saw this and I absolutely loved that. I think it just looks so cool and shows the kind of things you can make with just some yarn and a hook.

This might be considered a little late to the party but I dint want to be the person making a profit over people suffering. I didn't love how many people were making things online. I understand it was helpful because people do need to wear masks and by how things are going it might be years before we stop and even then I don't mind wearing one. It actually is nice not having to worry about your face and just getting in and out. Who knows there might never be a time that people won't be wearing one. This has really changed the way we live and I don't think everything will ever go back to normal. Anyway, this is still a good craft and gift and DIY for a mask but I wanted to wait, and now it's more normal than ever and it just feels better now than before. 

This is probably one of my favorite recent patterns I have been working on. I made one for each of my friends for their birthdays. I am even tempted now to change my Christmas list and give everyone (but people who got it for their birthday) a mask. I think it would be more useful. I have a post about planning and birthdays and Christmas, so check that out of you are curious. 

I will admit this was made because of Covid. And I will also admit that this alone is not the best mask. It is definitely better than nothing if you just have this absolute use it rather than just going in without, but I would recommend adding some sort of cloth or filter with glue or sewing. This is just one that I have in my bag as a spare in case I misplace or break anyone that I am wearing while I am out. Without any add ons I think this is something useful to just keep in your car or someplace you just might need a spare one to feel more secure. With that being said, with a filter or cloth, I think this would be really cool to customize with cosplay or for theater and do the colors maybe crochet something to put on top to match the character if core crocheting is your hobby and you are in that situation. I definitely want to consider this idea for cosplays since I do want to make crochet only cosplays, just as a little thing because I have always wanted to cosplay but I don't have the time, money, or creativity to make it out of foam and such but I definitely can as a crocheter and I think crochet only cosplays, or even knitting, should be a thing all in its own because you can really customize it and it takes time and you know they put the effort in. With thinking about it, I have just finished Wanda Vision not too long ago and I think it would be really cool, and cute, to make an outfit, maybe a cape, and definitely her headpiece as maybe a crown.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tube Socks Pattern

Mushroom Lighter Holder Pattern

Winnie The Pooh Granny Square Blanket