Spiral Granny Circle Bag Pattern




Free Pattern:
Us 5.5 mm or 5.00 mm crochet hook
Size 4 medium worsted weight yarn

This is worked with granny square stitches, when finishing the row where you are attaching to the opposite color you are currently working with, instead of chaining two, place a half double crochet into where you would normally connect, chain 3, and work 2 double crochets into the space created by the half double crochet keeping the color connected to itself to create the spiral.


You will make two for either side of the bag.

Magic circle or chain 4 and slip stitch into the first chain.

Row 1: Work 6 granny square clusters (3 double crochets separated by chaining 2) into the circle. ( do half in one color and a half in the other, so not fasten off the yarn, finish one row at a time by going back and forth between the colors.)

Row 2: Increase every space by working two granny clusters into each opening.

Row 3-4: Work a regular granny cluster into each chain two space.

Row 5: Repeat row 2 and increase all openings.

Row 6: Repeat row 3 with regular granny clusters in each opening. 

Row 7: Work a regular granny cluster into each opening but do not chain between the clusters. Fasten

Row 8: Use a single crochet down the side of both circles combining them by working your hook through both and working a single crochet. Work one in each stitch as well as one where the chain two space would normally be. Stop before the last 4 clusters and work single crochets down both sides of the circle not combining them to create your opening. 

For the strap, I just chained 150, slips attached twice on the other side of the opening, and chained another 150 and slip stitched twice back where I started. You can do whatever you want for the strap.


This does look more like a spiral with solid colors I just made the mistake of using Christmas yarn. But I actually still like the look of this bag even if the spiral is not as noticeable as with other colors. 


I saw someone on TikTok showing off some things they were adding to their shop and I love seeing new ideas and someone had made a spiral bag and I thought it was so cool. I have seen spiral things before but never tried because I have normally seen it as a blanket and I did not know what I could make it into. The sad thing is, when I looked it up it was one of those patterns that slowly increase and it honestly made me sad. I did a little digging and had a thought, I love granny squares and I have multiple patterns where they already increase how do I do the spiral, and I actually found a few, the idea is pretty basic you just crochet with one color till you can not anymore and then go to the next and I always finish each round and connect them before I go on to the next round. And one cool technique I learned was the half-double crochet to keep the color touching and not slip stitch to the next opening, when I saw a video of that I said out loud “that’s genius!” And so I took the new things I had learned and actually put them into an older pattern and changed it a little bit to make this cute bag, I hate straps so I’m not confident on the straps but that is something simple you can change to whatever strap pattern you prefer.


I originally did Christmas yarn as you can see in the picture below and because I had the energy t make a new one I decided to make a bisexual flag pride bag. I think it turned out really cute. For June I wanted to mess around and make some pride stuff. I do plan on making a post showcasing all the different pride month ideas. I was originally going to different posts for all the different items but decided against it because I don't know when I will finish each project and I think showcasing all of them this year is the better route. 


I think this is a cool project, I normally hate circles because of slow increases or decreases but this pattern makes it way easier and actually enjoyable. Also, who doesn't like a cute bag? I think even if you did not do the spiral color change it is still an awesome circle granny stitch pattern.  it is surprisingly a sturdy bag I think when imagining just two circles put together it does not sound very useful but after connecting it I feel like it feels fairly good and can hold your stuff, which is the point.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tube Socks Pattern

Mushroom Lighter Holder Pattern

Winnie The Pooh Granny Square Blanket